Monday, February 19, 2007

Beware of late night and early morning traffic

It's no secret that cab drivers can be crazy and erratic. But they're at their worst during the hours of 1am and 7am every morning. During this time, they're most likely to run a red light, turn left or right against the signal, or worst yet - cross the center divide on Park avenue and other split lane roads when they're supposed to be stopped.

I learned this the hard way a few mornings ago, when I decided to go out early for a quick ride. I started going down Park, but noticed down the road that cabs were cutting straight across the divide without hesitation. I decided not to risk it a single block more, and turned off onto Lexington to continue my journey.

Lession of the day: avoid two laned, divided roads in Manhattan (Park and upper west side Broadway), and in general expect cabs stopped at intersections to run them during the early morning / late late night hours.

No comments: