Thursday, March 15, 2007

Bridge review: Tappan Zee Bridge

I've been riding to upstate New York more recently these days, and I find the easiest route to take is via I87 / 287. Of course, this means I've been spending more time than ever crossing the Tappan Zee bridge, and so I felt it necessary and appropriate to add this to my list of bridge reviews.

Tappan Zee Bridge: *** 3 stars
The Tappan Zee suffers from one major flaw: there's no view of NYC anywhere to be had. But where it lacks in cityscape, it makes up in a great, lengthy stretch of river that seems to go for miles... 2 miles, to be exact. This gives you plenty of time to stretch your legs, and peer over the sides up and down the Hudson. Maybe you'll wonder as I did how people can reach those homes that seem to be nested up on the sides of hills - far beyond what sane people should be willing to drive to?

So all in all, it's a decent view, and a nice stretch - but it's nothing to go out of your way to see. Plus it tends to be frequented by an odd type of NY commuting cagers that a only a few notches below Jersey.

No comments: