Monday, April 23, 2007

My trip to Long Island





I recently purchased a GPS unit from Garmin, in an attempt to log my travels and also prevent myself from getting lost. I tried it out this past Sunday, and noticed that I felt much more comfortable taking different routes, knowing that I could always find my bearings and way home afterwards.

This is the log of the trip I took out to the Long Island beach lot, where all the cars and motorcycles head out every Sunday morning. The major roads are in yellow, and my route is highlighted in greenish blue. You can see that I took a different route out than I took going back, when I cut South/North across the island.

The software allows you to download logged track points of your trip onto the PC, and then to export those points to Google. I thought it was interesting that the level of detail was so high, you could see where I made loops around the beach circles.

I was intriguied by the cluster of dark blue in the picture to the left here, so I zoomed all the way in, and you can even see where I rode back and forth in the parking lot, admiring the different cars and bikes in the lot.

Next time I go up to the catskills, I'll take this with me to share the route I enjoy taking. Also, I'll have to figure out how to mount or velcro the device to the front panel of the bike, so that I can navigate while riding.

No comments: