Sunday, December 31, 2006

Bag review: modified Axio Swift

After reading a few reviews on the web about the Axio Swift hard shelled backpack, I decided to swing for one of my own in light gray, and paid $130 including shipping for one over the web. It arrived a few days ago, and I've been using it ever since.

If you could tell already, the name of my game is visibility - which is a must in downtown NYC. So the first thing I did was cover the bag with three vertical strips of hi visibility red 3M diamond grade tape. I had to work the tape carefully on the side strips, as the bag curves, but all in all I'm fairly content with the outcome.

The bag itself is hard on the outer edge, but is made of sturdy canvas on the side that faces your back. This is important, as it allows the bag to curve to your back, and makes for a comfortable wear all day. Strength of a riding bag has always been important to me, since I stuff it full of chains and disc locks to secure my bike when parked. The Swift bag has no problem supporting the 15 or so pounds of solid metal I put back there. In fact, it feels quite good. The neat part about this bag, is that it has a series of straps and flaps on the inside that allow me to secure my bike chain so that it doesn't move around.

Another cool part about the bag is the special compartment inside the little hump. This turns out to be perfect for storing my wheel flat kit, and my touring kit (with bandaids, emergency money, maps, etc.).

Altogether, I give this bag a 5 star rating - well done, Axio!

Axio Swift Motorcycle Hard-Shell Backpack: ***** 5/5 stars

No comments: