Saturday, December 30, 2006

Cold riding today

I went out today for a nice ride around the Belt parkway, and out to Rockaway park. If you haven't made the trip, it's a great ride, and especially scenic once you get to Rockaway. There's a nice little paved beach path that you can ride along if you sneak past one of the locked gates (which isn't too hard, since the sidewalk is easy enough to ride on).

Anyway, I think I've found the limit of extended cold weather riding; 65 mph in 42F required that my heated vest be put on the maximum adjustable setting. This is the first time I've ever had to max it out that high. Oddly enough, upon returning the Manhattan, I noticed that the temperature climbed a few degrees immediately, and the lack of wind combined with slower riding speeds meant I had to readjust to half temperature to prevent myself from burning up.

No comments: