Sunday, January 14, 2007

I hate weather.com

This morning was supposed to be like yesterday. Weather.com's hour-by-hour forecast said rain for each hour this morning. So I ditched my plan to explore the far end of Fire Island, out in Long Island. However, I woke up to see an overcast, but dry day. Again, I checked weather.com, and they said yes, it was overcast and foggy, but it would begin raining in the next hour. This happened for each of 5 hours, until I finally gave up and got dressed for a ride around 1pm. Believe it or not, I got a full hour of riding in before the intense fog around midtown got me thinking the rain must be coming soon. But for the past hour, nothing. In fact, I got so frustrated that I clicked on the 300-mile doppler map to see where the precipitation was. Apparently, it's nowhere near the city yet, and it probably won't come for another two hours.

Lesson learned? weather.com's hour by hour is useless, and I can do a better job estimating ride-time from the raw map. This will never happen again - ugh. I could have had a full morning /day or riding!

No comments: