Monday, January 8, 2007

Ocean Parkway on the weekend

This weekend was abnormally warm, and I was pleasantly surprised to see tons of fellow riders out and about on Saturday and Sunday (moreso Saturday, when the temperature got to around 70, whereas Sunday was around 50).

I decided to make a trip out to one of the southern strips of beach on Long Island, down near Zachs Bay and Captree State Park. To be honest, I found the spot using Google maps, and it looked like a fine destination, with a long stretch of highway that runs parallel to the beach for miles.

So after 20 minutes of the belt parkway followed by 30 more minutes of rural back-route island hopping I arrived at Ocean Parkway, only to find... I wasn't alone. I've never seen so many motorcycles in this area before! There were hundreds of cruisers flying up and down the parkway, and at the far east end of the road, right at Captree State Park, is a restaurant, dock, and popular hangout on every weekend. I ran into some nice folks - mostly the beemer and Harley crowd - and learned that this is a popular destination every Sunday morning for hot-rodders and cruisers alike. It was quite fun to find such a lively group so close to home!

No comments: