Friday, January 19, 2007

NYC Javits Center Motorcycle Convention

For all those thinking about attending, there's plenty of motorcycle parking on the far right side of the Javits center - easily 50 other riders were parked there when I showed up at about 3pm.

So I rode over to the Javit's center, and walked around all the exhibits to sit on the other motorcycles. On the far right, there were all the choppers, in the back the stunters and squid bikes, and down the middle the Italian and English bikes... every stereotype rider got his own section.

But I learned something about myself today. I hate sport bikes. Their leaned over seat position makes it incredibly painful to sustain a view of the road ahead. In fact, every single sportbike I tried gave me cramps in my neck while trying to look at a height that I'm used to on my Buell XB12Ss. In fact, the only bikes that came close to the same comfort (with acceptable styling) were the BMW K1200R, and the Ducati Sport, which says a lot about my preferences in bikes. The problem, though, is the size and poor handling of the BMW and the jumpiness, lower power, and high maitenance required of the Ducati. Until I move out of NYC, I don't expect to change my bike any time soon.

I didn't buy much today - in fact, though I was tempted by the LED light bars they sold, I only bought anti-fog lens fluid. The problem was that most of the vendors were only giving a maximum discount of 10% on their merchandise - which is downright skimpy compared to your average discount or deal you can find online. But it was fun checking out those lights, and I'm convinced now about buying wireless brake-light activated LED kits... which I'll review on the site shortly.

I got quite a few compliments about my Axio hard bag with reflective tape, and a number of people told me my white leather jacket made me visible from half-way across the Javits floor. All of these comments were music to my ears, and a confirmation that I'm visible on the streets.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is good information about the Javit center. This place has been the attractive place because visitors come here to participate in trade show, auto show, consumer show etc. Javits center long term parking helps them to park their vehicles proper way.