Monday, August 27, 2007

Harley Davidson New York City

I just got off the phone with HD on Northern Blvd in Queens. My bike is toast, and will take weeks to determine what went wrong.

Normally, I would be furious. But somehow, I'm moved to write a review of Harley Davidson NYC. I'll say it simply: they are amazing. None of the staff there give you that weirdo creep-you-out feeling that many other bikes stores give you (that feeling like you're getting ripped off every time they open their mouths). Perhaps it's something to do with the Harley staff knowing that everything they have to sell is already ridiculously over priced (fat margins) that they're just happy that anyone's in the store at all.

Anyway, on to the review:

Customer service
Fantastic. I'm greeted at the door every time I walk in, and they make an effort to know me. The salesmen aren't sleazy, and they really do give you pros / cons of their different models. I do wish the Buell section were bigger, but they always have a couple bikes on the floor for the odd folks like myself to stare at.

Parts ordering
They do require a credit card, and that you show up in person when placing an order. It almost makes you feel like they've been really screwed in the past with faulty credit card phone orders. Nevertheless, I've done a lot of ordering to upgrade my bike, and have gotten to a point where they have my orders on file and now feel comfortable selling me parts over the phone. Like many New Yorkers, this is a huge blessing because I never have time to spare to make a trip anywhere in person.

Service
Frank. What more can I say? He's the most diplomatic service desk man you could ask for. He says it straight, yet somehow always makes you feel good. "It's going to be a while, but we'll get to it." "We're real busy here, and we're moving bikes pretty quick. But I don't see yours on the stand yet. It'll be up there tomorrow for sure." I've dealt with guys in the past who actually forget what bike is yours, but not so with Frank - he actually looks out onto the floor to make sure, and sometimes even walks over to the bike to check the status of the ticket - all while you're on the phone. The actual techs are simply world class. I can't tell you how many times I've swung by after hours only to find them working on their own bikes, and happy to run a diagnostic on the bike, or check the wiring. For instance, I blew a voltage regulator last winter, and my bike kept stalling. I stopped in late at night when the tow truck dropped me off, and sure enough two guys were in the back room. Now that's passion. That alone makes it worthwhile owning a Buell or Harley in NYC.

Location
Can you say $8 cab from Manhattan? It's perfect. My only complaint is that the cab ride back from the dealership to midtown can be a drag, since there aren't too many cabs that drive through Queens. And even fewer who want to pick up a guy that looks like he's only going over the bridge.

Summary
Great place, and they absolutely make the Harley / Buell experience in NYC. Without them, owning a Buell or Harley would be a miserable experience. The staff are worldclass, and they always go out of their way to help me.

Great work, guys!

No comments: