Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Thought process review: BMW

Maybe it's finally time for me to make the jump and own a K1200 of some sort, perhaps an S or R? But from my last review and test drive, I can still remember what a boat those bikes are. And I would ideally like something with some semblance of handling. But it needs to be tougher than wrought iron.

Toughness: Great
BMW's have perhaps the greatest reputation for lasting for hundreds of thousands of miles, in hot weather and cold. They can be dropped, and are built like tanks with steel frames, titanium bolts (just kidding).

Handling: Poor
See my previous post comparing BMW K1200R to the Buell. It was mind blowingly depressing. This makes me incredibly concerned about city riding.

Coolness: Ok
If not poor. I don't know anyone that gets excited about talking about their BMW. Instead, you end up getting excited about the riding experience itself. BMW riders don't talk about their bikes, they talk about their incredibly long rides through the wilderness and back. Eh.

Comfort: Great
What more can I say? I could fall asleep on a BMW. The seats are somehow 3 or 4 inches thicker than any other bike I've seen. I'm convinced a woman could deliver a baby on the seat of a BMW - it's that good.


Summary: Something about these bikes don't do it for me. They're just too boat-like ... and ... easy. They're like the automatic transmission / drive of motorcycles. I think I'm looking for a manual drive... to bring me closer to the road.

No comments: